Apple iPhone 6 of an 11-year-old catches fire and explodes

Apple iPhone 6

The Apple iPhone 6 of a teenager living in California, United States recently caught fire and exploded when she was sitting in her sister’s bedroom.

The 11-year-old Kayla Ramos told a local news channel, 23ABC, that she was sitting in the room with the iPhone in her hand when it caught fire. “I was sitting down, and I had my phone in my hand and then I saw sparks flying everywhere and I just threw it on a blanketI was right here on the bed and the phone managed to burn through the blanket and make these holes,” Ramos told the news channel.

A day after the incident, Ramos’ mother Maria Adata contacted Apple support where she was instructed to send pictures and ship the damaged unit to the retailer. “This could have been my childMy child could have been caught on fire and she could have been hurt more and I am glad she’s ok,” Adata said in a statement to 23ABC.

It is worth noting that there are several reasons that can lead to an iPhone catching fire. Using unauthorised charging cables or charger or making unauthorised repairs can all cause an Apple device to catch fire.

Apple has not commented on the matter yet but Kayla’s mother says that the company is investigating the matter and that it would ship her a new iPhone soon. “I know we charge it a lot maybe that caused it, maybe it overheated,” Kayla’s mother said.

Notably, this is not the first incident when reports of an Apple iPhone catching fire and exploding have surfaced on social media. Back in 2014, a 14-year-old school girl from Kennebunk, Maine got second-degree burns when her Apple iPhone 5C caught her in her pocket when she was still in her school. Then in 2017, a video of smoking Apple iPhone 7 Plus went viral on Twitter. Shortly after, Apple in a statement to the media said that the company was investigating the matter. Then in 2018, a Columbus, Ohio based man said that his less than a month old Apple iPhone XS Max caught fire and exploded in his pants.